At Willow Primary School, we aim for a high quality History curriculum to inspire in pupils a curiosity and fascination about Britain’s past and that of the wider world. We seek to equip our children with knowledge and understanding of historical periods, events and significant individuals both in Britain and in the wider world. Children learn key facts, knowledge and concepts alongside skills such as chronological understanding, how to analyse and evaluate historical evidence, how to empathise with people from different eras and how to compare and contrast life in different periods.
We want our children to enjoy and love learning about History by gaining knowledge and skills, not just through learning in the classroom, but also with the use of first hand experiences and educational visits.
- FS2 – Ourselves and People who help us, Seaside (seaside events in the past)
- Year 1 – Transport (transport over time), Animal (significant individuals), Woodland (Changes in living memory)
- Year 2 – Kings, Queens and Castles, Explorers,
- Year 3 – Prehistory (Stone Age to Iron Age), Romans
- Year 4 – Anglo Saxons and Vikings
- Year 5 – Ancient Egypt, Coal Mining, Settlements and Civilisations
- Year 6 – World War 2, Ancient Greece
In addition to these topics, each year group completes a Heritage and Community topic linked to our local area and community and the children’s own heritage.