Art and Design
we believe that art and design is a vital and integral part of children’s education.
Our aim is to engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design.
As pupils progress, we aim to enable them to think more critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. Pupils will learn how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- know about the great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms
The teaching and implementation of Art and Design at Willow is based on the National Curriculum and is linked to our creative learning projects. We teach a skills-based art curriculum which allows children to express their creative imagination whilst developing mastery of art and design techniques. This is supported through the studying of key artists, craft makers and designers, whereby pupils will become familiar with famous art works and begin to make links to their own work.
Foundation Stage pupils will be taught:
- to safely use and explore a variety of materials, tools and techniques, experimenting with colour, design, texture, form and function.
- to use what they have learnt about media and materials in original ways, thinking about uses and purposes.
- to represent their own ideas, thoughts and feelings through design and technology, art, music, dance, role play and stories.
Key stage 1 pupils at Willow will be taught:
- to use a range of materials creatively to design and make products
- to use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
- to develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
- about the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
Key stage 2 pupils at Willow will be taught:
- to develop their techniques, including their control and their use of materials, with creativity, experimentation and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art, craft and design
- to create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas
- to improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials (for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay)
- about great artists, architects and designers in history
As well as class-based Art and Design work linked to our creative learning projects, we also offer extra-curricular art clubs which are offered to all year groups through the academic year.
- Art and design will be loved by teachers and pupils across school.
- Teachers will have high expectations and more quality evidence will be presented in a variety of ways.
- All pupils can use technical vocabulary accurately and pupils are expected to know, apply and understand the matters, skills and processes specified.
- Pupils will improve their enquiry skills and inquisitiveness about the world around them, and their impact through art and design on the world.
- Pupils will become more confident in analysing their work and giving their opinion on their own and other works of art.
- Children will show competences in improving their resilience and perseverance by continually evaluating and improving their work.
- All children in school will be able to speak confidently about their art and design work and their skills.